When to Seek Psychological Help?

The hustle and bustle of everyday and technology can sometimes interfere with communication between family members, often leading to estrangement and family conflict. Seeking psychological help is a personal decision that each day more individuals and families are benefiting from. Psychotherapy can be helpful to each family member. Psychologists can help children and families manage stress and issues related to emotions and behavior. With the assistance of a qualified clinician, family members can learn to identify their feelings, develop coping skills to solve problems, and improve connections with loved ones.

Although it can often be confusing to know when psychological help is needed, there are some signs and symptoms that suggest that psychological services are necessary.  For example, if you feel that your family is going through a crisis and can not find the way to solve the problem, it may be time to consult a specialist. Some situations in which families seek help are:

  • Death or chronic illness of a family member
  • Separation/Divorce
  • A family member abuses alcohol or drugs
  • Stress associated with children (e.g. birth of a child, children with behavioral problems, academic or developmental delays)
  • A family member suffers from depression or chronic anxiety
  • Migration- relocation to a new country or city

Sometimes it is a child who needs help. The signals that may indicate your child could benefit from the help of a psychologist include:

  • Academic or attention problems
  • Behavior problems at school and home
  • Your child does not get along with his friends.
  • Delayed development (e.g. language, motor, social)
  • sudden changes in mood ( e.g.sadness, anger)
  • Sexual, physical or emotional abuse or other trauma
  • Problems in transitions (e.g. following separation, divorce or moving)
  • Sudden changes in appetite
  • Insomnia or excessive sleepiness
  • Excessive irritability and aggression (e.g. biting, kicking or hitting other children)
  • Suspicion your child is using alcohol/drugs
  • Lost interest in activities he once enjoyed
  • A chronic disease
  • He complains of headaches, stomach pain even though the doctor has confirmed that he is healthy 
  • Refuses to attend school

It would also be important to receive support if you feel:

  • Unable to cope with the challenges of family life.
  • Your house is a battlefield where screaming and bad manners reign.
  • Frustration and anger have led you to use corporal punishment with your children.
  • You can not communicate with your children or partner. 

Have you identified any of these signs? Do you know someone who would need to consult a psychologist? If you or someone you know is going through one or more of these situations it is a good idea to seek help. Visit this page www.nyccps.com to learn how a clinical psychologist can help you. Call 347-781-4614 for a consultation to discuss your concerns, and find out how we may be of help.